Essential oils are organic substances which are highly concentrated, aromatic, volatile plant extracts.
They are anti-oxidants and support the immune. They are synergistic which means when different oils are mixed in a blend they can work together to produce an enhanced result.
They support the body to come back into balance naturally.
When we inhale essential oils, the aroma goes to the amygdala and limbic system in the brain. The amygdala influences the hypothalamus which is our hormonal centre.
The limbic system and hypothalamus is connected to the part of the brain that controls our nervous system, memory and hormones. It plays an important role in regulating the body’s systems when in stress.
Essential oils have a major effect therefore in heightened emotional states such as grief and sadness.
What is Stress?
Stress is anything that threatens our physical and mental wellbeing. It is how an individual responds to any kind of demand. However, if it is in response to an emotional experience, then there is no outlet for the adrenaline to be used up.
What is Anxiety?
Anxiety is really fear based emotion which creates an emotional and physical response in the body.
What Oils Address the Emotional & Physical Component?
Oils that have sedative properties will calm and settle the mind and our emotions.
In Chinese medicine, the Kidneys and the Heart are considered to be out of balance in states of anxiety. The most pronounced emotion related to kidney deficiency is fear. The oils that will assist with the physical components of anxiety are considered grounding and are tonics.
Essential oil top choices for anxiety & stress:
- Chamomile roman – to help sooth and calm the nervous system used for restlessness, depression and insomnia.
- Geranium – to help overcome emotional problems related to the hormones.
- Bergamot – Calming and uplifting, known for its antidepressant properties.
- Lavender – to help relax and aid sleep, reduces mental stress, one of the most studied for relieving anxiety.
- Ylang ylang – soothing and sensual to help ease anxiety and depression and aid in sleep, balances energies by restoring peace and confidence.
- Rose Absolute – Nourishes the heart brings support and reassurance.
- Neroli Absolute – Natural relaxant used to treat depression and anxiety uplifting.
- Vetiver– Very grounding earthy, restores stability.
- Melissa – Releases emotions of the heart, it is used for depression, insomnia and anxiety.
- Marjoram – Herb of happiness, calms the nerves, tonic.